- 1 Africa RISING design team meeting 1-3 September 2015Wageningen
- 2 12. October workshop Planning
Africa RISING design team meeting
1-3 September 2015
Wageningen[edit | edit source]
Phase 2 design team meeting with most PCT members plus some others[edit | edit source]
Agenda/topics with leads[edit | edit source]
- Systems approach - bernard [2-pager, evidence, arguments, messages, implications, value proposition - what 'we' mean by 'research'; research design considerations; farming systems versus livelihoods systems]
- Phase 2 vision of success - bernard
- Phase 2 theory of change - bernard
- Impact pathways / theory of change prototype - peter t
- phase 2 scaling targets / zones of influence - carlo
- farmer engagement guidelines - irmgard
- IP guidelines - irmgard
- AR 'immediate' SI assessment framework - carlo [short-term]
- Phase 2 hypotheses - bernard [testable for phase 2]
- evidence based narratives - peter b/carlo
- typologies - irmgard
Documents[edit | edit source]
|Work stream||Discussion points/actions||people responsible (process shepherd pre-meeting)||Preparation phase|
|Logistics||Irmgard leading organizing committee||Organizing committee|
Invitations sent; IHZ: WILL BE DONE BY ICRISAT NEXT WEEK
|Evidence-based narratives, stories, briefs, products for different audiences||PB to follow up with Carlo||Carlo; PeterB, Asamoah, Mateete||Agree template (2-pager); - ET project testing one this week. |
Produce model (with content);
|Reflections and guidance on typologies, farmer engagement, and R4DPs/IPs||Irmgard; Jeroen, Carlo, Asamoah, Mateete, Kindu||Tables of typologies by country;|
Info on ways we engage with farmers by country;
|Targets and scaling approaches||Carlo; Bernard (for diagram write-up)||Draft template across the 5 SI dimensions; |
Proof of concept of possible scaling targets
|SI indicators and assessment framework||Sieg, Carlo, PeterT
||Draft assessment framework;|
SI lab concept note
|Phase II proposal||Bernard, PeterT, Jeroen||Vision of success; |
Systems research/approach[edit | edit source]
- do we do something new? change? or just more of the same?
- increased attention to interactions and tradeoffs?
- defining 'boundaries'
- shift the emphasis ...? moving up?
- some cross-project similar 'integrated' activities?
- what criteria to start/stop in next phase?
- specify entry themes as a way to limit demand/focus?
- exit strategy in case no phase 2?
Vision of success[edit | edit source]
- benefits - Y axis
- by country
- blue and purple lines
- legend different
Theory of change[edit | edit source]
Outcomes[edit | edit source]
1. By 2021, within Africa RISING target areas/communities, improvements in livelihood status (income, nutrition) by X% for at least Y households with Z improvement of NRM status and ensuring that benefits are equitably shared within farming communities….
2. By 2021, X development/scaling/value chain partners are advancing research results to Y households beyond the Africa RISING target areas/communities…
do we bring back the original objectives and outcomes
Research questions[edit | edit source]
- which combinations of technologies/interventions/components (spatial/temporal) result in the most attractive/highest net benefits in terms of at least 3 SI dimensions for all farm/household typologies and agro-ecologies?
- How and in what ways does systems research (and its various components/elements) deliver higher/more attractive net benefits (in terms of SI dimensions) than traditional/conventional component research does?
- How can innovations be best scaled? What scaling approaches work?
- How do cross-scale (plot, farm, landscape) interactions affect the net benefits (in terms of SI dimensions)?
- How can systems research inform farmer, policy maker and research decision makers to implement SI?
- Extra action/question to be asked at end of phase 1: What are the application domains of phase 1 results that need to be continued into phase 2? To guide the process of selecting the promising innovations to continue into phase 2 - where, and how
SI framework[edit | edit source]
- complete the rapid assessment tool/instrument
- validate in bamako
- test via the postdocs
- devise the aggregation protocol for the net benefits [proof of concept with weights and current data]
- then the regional projects can use it
Farmer engagement[edit | edit source]
M&E[edit | edit source]
phase 2 - ifpri has a modified scope envisaged. ifpri to finance 'data managers' in each regional project need to also have local M&E specialists in each regional project/country - perhaps same person as the data manager. aim to recruit these folks to be in place before phase 2 starts need clear guidance on what data needs to be collected for program M&E as well as research purposes need joint M&E/research planning in the planning meetings. nothing much we can change now for phase 1 / aiming for phase 2 [also session in bamako]
Typologies[edit | edit source]
- 4 uses - get from Jeroen
- Scientists to be trained to use/build typologies
- See the action list from Carlo first 2
- Science symposium in march 2016 the big exposure of the scientists to using typologies
- How to move from typologies to targeting
2016 science symposium[edit | edit source]
phase 2 writing team[edit | edit source]
- proposal target date april/may 2016
- core team - who
- wider engagement - process
- PCT decide in bamako
- 'template' / outline / table of contents - use it in the bamako meeting - asamoah
Products[edit | edit source]
- systems piece
- bernard and jeroen to send next draft; then comments
- Then session in bamako research questions
- Peter to update and re-order and simplify; develop sub-questions in bamako
- typologies piece for proposal,generate typologies in phase 1;
- plan of action to use the typologies
- carlo and jeroen follow up.
- with systems piece discuss in bamako.
- vision of success diagram [country diagrams (carlo) and to validate, overall diagram, assumptions narrative for each country] -
- success targets and SI benefits
- carlo, peterT, jeroen [the aggregator/weighting thing
- include the postdocs; available after bamako.
- TOC and IPs piece - peter to tidy. complete fr ethioipia. other regions after banmako meeting.
- SI framework to validate then test
- carlo to update/validate; then to bamako,
- then to postdocs farmer and IP engagement piece
- irmgard to complete,
- then to bamako phase 2 proposal outline/template
- asamoah to draft
narratives - peter circulate model; carlo a couple with ifpri info; several examples (also of cba studies) review in bamako; then produce more
event planning[edit | edit source]
- prepare messages from icrisat - peter and irmgard
- agenda update - peter and ewen
- session assignments and session process and documentation- peter and ewen
- per diems message to icrisat - peter