Mini-workshop: The future of Africa RISING, SI and systems research in One CGIAR
3 - 5 November 2020
Virtual via Zoom[edit | edit source]
- Dates/times: 3, 4 & 5 November; each time 15:00 – 17:30 East Africa Time
- Link: [add link]
The future of Africa RISING beyond Sept 2021 came up during a number of recent Program Coordination Team meetings. Major points raised include:
- How will Africa RISING fit within the changes in the CGIAR coming into effect in 2021? Are we considering another phase? AR phase II finishes on paper in September 2021, but there may be a no cost extension considering the time frames for the release of funds.
- The question about whether there is a next phase in the horizon for Africa RISING has also come up during the Internally Commissioned External Review (ICER).
- There is a need to work out some of the larger issues about the program, its medium-longer term future. For example, with the Excellence in Agronomy initiative, which is moving along rapidly. Do we need to somehow place Africa RISING within it or on one side of it conceptually?
- There is a need to further clarify and be more specific on the work going forward (in AR) and what the deliverables are. In part because it is necessary to see this taken up more through a common research & development agenda with other donors.
- Other additional topics that would be useful to discuss include: (i) Systems research within the ONE CGIAR reform process – Excellence in Agronomy? (is it a big enough “Big Lift” for “systems research”) – What is the AR perspective/definition of systems research; (ii) Livelihood analysis of AR communities (IFPRI working on this); (iii) Advancement of SIAF—how to improve and advance its use; (iv) Re-direction of AR strategy?; (v) Refocus on USAID mission communication & needs; (vi) Increased support for regional agriculture innovation systems (e.g., CORAF iREACH); (vii) Much greater focus on synthesizing, evaluating, and communicating findings; (viii) Capturing impact of innovations; and (ix) “Exit” strategy for Africa RISING?
- To review and agree on existing and yet-to-be-produced legacy products of Africa RISING.
- To reflect on the future of Africa RISING beyond September 2021 in the context of the One CGIAR, in terms of its research agenda, funding mechanisms, and other relevant dimensions
- To reflect on the possible role of SI & systems research in the One CGIAR and how this could be accommodated in the context of the ‘global research domains’ and ‘regional integrated programs’
- To agree on next steps and priority activities for 2021 and beyond to streamline AR activities towards integration in the One CGIAR as per above suggestions
Day ONE [3 November 2020]
|FOCUS: AR legacy (Presentations to feature highlights on program/project impact, Return on Investments (RoI), achievements. See guide shared by JG)|
|15.00 - 15.10||Opening remarks/introduction to objectives & background of the meeting||S. Moyo|
|15.10 - 16.00
||Keynote presentations by the 3 regional projects:
|16.00 - 17.30||Actionable conversation:
||Hoeschle-Zeledon, P. Thorne, and C. Azzarri|
Day TWO [4 November 2020]
|FOCUS: (i) Present and future outlook for SI & Systems research within One CGIAR and beyond, and (ii) possible pathways for AR September 2020|
|15.00 - 15.10
||Presentation: Status of the discussion around the research agenda of the ‘One CGIAR’||I. Wright|
|15.15 - 15.25
||Presentation: Status of conceptualization of systems research in AR||P. Thorne|
|15.30 - 15.40
||Presentation: Topline action points for SI & systems research and other donor-led efforts||J. Glover|
|New pathways within one CGIAR|
|15.45 - 15.55
||Presentation: Excellence in Agronomy 2030||B. Vanlauwe|
|16.00 - 16.10
||Presentation: Transforming Livestock food systems||S. Moyo and P. Thorne|
|16.15 - 17.30||Actionable conversations about four topics listed below in any order preferred [anticipated spill-over into day 3]:
Day THREE [5 November 2020]
|15.00 - 15.10||Brief recap of key points/decisions from the actionable discussions initiated on day 2||Facilitator|
|15.10 - 17.00||Actionable conversations about four topics listed below in any order preferred [continued from Day 2]:
|17.00 - 17.30
||Wrap-up and way forward||S. Moyo|